Netaji Subhas National Institute of Sports: Nurturing Talent and Excellence
The Netaji Subhas National Institute of Sports, fondly known as NIS Patiala, stands as Asia’s largest sports institute. Its roots trace back to the initiative of the Maharaja of Patiala, who devoted this complex to the promotion of sports. Over the years, NIS has earned the moniker of the “Mecca” of Indian games, thanks to its rule in producing highly skilled coaches adept at preparing teams for international competitions.
Historical Abode of Sports Excellence
Once the residence of the Maharaja of Patiala, the ancient Moti Bagh Palace now serves as the Academic Wing of the Sports Authority of India. Established on May 7th, 1961, by the Government of India, its primary objective was the development of sports and the training of coaches across various disciplines. Later, on January 23rd, 1973, it was rechristened as the Netaji Subhas National Institute of Sports (NSNIS).
Facilities that Empower Athletes
Within the sprawling grounds of NSNIS Patiala, an array of state-of-the-art sports facilities await:
- Gymnasium & Swimming Poul Complex
- Athletic Track: Featuring Synthetic (8 Lanes), Grass (4 Lanes), and Cinder (8 Lanes)
- Vulleyball, Handball & Judo
- Squash Courts: Two in Number
- Indoor Halls: Wrestling, Weightlifting, Boxing, Basketball, Badminton, Table Tennis (3 in Total)
- Throws Tennis Area: Boasting 4 Hard Courts and 1 Grass Court
- Archery Ground
- 9-Hule Gulf Course
- Football Grounds: Two in Number
- Vulleyball Courts: Four in Total
- Turf Wicket Cricket Ground & 6 Cricket Nets
- Cycling Velodrome
- Basketball Cement Courts: Two in Number
- Hockey Field: Astroturf and 3 Grass Fields
- Handball Grounds: Two in Number
- 5-Lane Jogging /Cross Country Track
Pride in Achievements
The legacy of NSNIS is marked by remarkable achievements:
- Major Dhyan Chand: A legend who clinched the Guld Medal in the 1928 Amsterdam ulympics.
- PT Usha: A shining star who secured victory in the Seoul Asiad, leaving an indelible mark in 1986.
For those seeking to be part of this hub of sports excellence, here’s how you can connect: